GP Practices across Norwich are introduding a new way of issuing prescriptions. Instead of writing out paper slips, they can send your prescription straight to the pharmacy you choose, in minutes.
The Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) is the modern way of issuing prescriptions and is being introduced across England.
- It is more convenient
- No need to visit the GP just to collect a prescription
- A more secure and safer way to get your prescriptions to the pharmacy you choose
How does it work?
Your doctor, nurse, reception or pharmacy staff will ask you to choose a pharmacy that is most convenient for you. When you get a prescription it will be sent directly to the pharmacy you choose. You don't need a computer to use EPS – it is all done for you. The pharmacy will still need a little time to prepare your medicines.
- pdf Patient Information Leaflet - (1.99 MB)you are very welcome to print this and keep / display
- Watch the video
- Frequently asked questions
- Find your nearest pharmacy
Less time and money spent visiting the GP surgery and pharmacy:
- No need to go back to the pharmacy for medication that is owed to you, as the pharmacy will know what you need in advance.
- No need to visit your GP practice just to collect a paper prescription as they are sent electronically.
- If there is a problem with your prescription, your GP can cancel and replace the prescription electronically, so you won't have to return to your GP practice to collect another one.
- Your dispenser can prepare your repeat prescription in advance so it is ready for when you arrive.
More convenience and choice:
- Choose where your prescriptions are sent, whether near your home, where you shop or where you work. This is flexible and can be changed at any time, just let your doctor or pharmacy know.
- Collect your next prescription in advance to cover holidays.
- If your GP offers a telephone or video consultation, there's no need to leave the house just to collect your prescription as it will be sent electronically to your chosen pharmacy for collection.
- No need to send stamped addressed envelopes as prescriptions are sent electronically.
- Electronic prescriptions cannot be lost so you won't have to spend time trying to find them or asking the surgery to issue another paper prescription.
- Electronic prescriptions are more accurate which will reduce the risk of receiving the wrong medication.
|Practice||Go Live Date|
|Thorpewood Medical Group Go-Live||Wed 18 Nov 2015|
|Beechcroft Surgery Go-Live||Thu 19 Nov 2015|
|Trinity & Bowthorpe Medical Practice Go-Live||Wed 25 Nov 2015|
|Hellesdon Medical Practice Go-Live||TBC|
|Old Catton Surgery Go-Live||Thu 03 Dec 2015|
|East Norwich Medical Partnership Go-Live||Wed 03 Feb 2016|
|Yare Valley Medical Practice Go-Live||TBC|
|Lakenham Surgery Go-Live||Thu 11 Feb 2016|
|Castle Partnership Go-Live||Fri 12 Feb 2016|
|West Pottergate Health Centre Go-Live||Wed 17 Feb 2016|
|Old Palace Surgery Go-Live||Thu 18 Feb 2016|
|Lawson Road Health Centre Go-Live||Wed 24 Feb 2016|
|Magdalen medical Practice Go-Live||Thu 25 Feb 2016|
|Oak Street Medical Practice Go-Live||Fri 04 Mar 2016|
|St Stephen's Gate Medical Practice Go-Live||Thu 03 Mar 2016|
|Bacon Road Medical Centre Go-Live||Wed 09 Mar 2016|
|Newmarket Road Surgery Go-Live||Thu 10 Mar 2016|
|Wensum Valley Medical Practice Go-Live||Wed 16 Mar 2016|
|UEA Health Centre Go-Live||TBC|
|Norwich Practices Health Centre (Rouen House) ) Go-Live||
Wed 23 Mar 2016
Have a look at this short video - all about electronic prescriptions (and there's another video in British Sign Language underneath)
How do I order repeat prescriptions?
Can I change my nomination or cancel it and get a paper prescription?
Is my personal information safe?
Is this only happening here?
Where is EPS available?
GP practices and pharmacies display the EPS sign to show you that they are using EPS and can be nominated. If you have any questions, you can ask your pharmacist or GP, they will be happy to help you.
You can use NHS Choices to search by your address or the name of your practice or pharmacy.
When will EPS be available to me?
• your GP surgery has the service and
• the pharmacy you want to collect your medicines from has the service.
I care for someone who has regular prescriptions, can we use EPS?
To set the nomination you or the person you care for will need to ask someone at the GP surgery or at any pharmacy or dispensing appliance contractor that offers EPS to add the nomination. You don't need a computer to use EPS.